Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Agoraphilia: Not Mom Safe?

My mother recently sent us some of the delicious results of my Missouri family's annual outdoor apple butter cookoff. She also enclosed a charming story about the event that ran in Higginsville's newspaper. Although the story carried no byline, I knew by the second sentence that Mom had penned it. She writes very well and very distinctively.

I told her as much when I wrote her an email thanking her for the apple butter. And, thinking that I might share with her some of my recent writing, I began to tell her that I had begun posting some twee pieces here. Not sure that I would recall Agoraphilia's address properly, I quickly pulled up the blog so that I could copy and paste the URL. What did I see? Glen's unabashedly frank review of the hilarious-yet-accurate social commentary of Southpark episode 808, "Douche and Turd."

Mom can handle the raw language, I'm sure. She's a retired librarian with a deep regard for freedom of speech. And she can surely sympathize with Trey Parker's and Matt Stone's criticism of the democratic process, even though she would probably not wholly agree. Still, I decided to tell Mom about Agoraphilia some other time. If she finds Glen's post (and now mine, too) after running an archive search for "turd sandwich" or "giant douche," she deserves what she gets. Absent that unlikely scenario, however, I think I'll see if I cannot time her first visit to Agoraphilia to coincide with a somewhat more refined discussion.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

An apple butter cookoff of all things! I know you love and respect your mother, Tom, and that's a warm and sentimental thing. I won't mess up your sweet "mom & apple pie" post by saying anything negative about mom's in general except to say from experience, "all mothers are not saints," and leave it at that. You are fortunate yours is.


--Backyard Barbecuer from MO.

Anonymous said...

An apple butter cookoff of all things! I know you love and respect your mother, Tom, and that's a warm and sentimental thing. I won't mess up your sweet "mom & apple pie" post by saying anything negative about mom's in general except to say from experience, "all mothers are not saints," and leave it at that. You are fortunate yours is.


--Backyard Barbecuer from MO.