Wednesday, July 13, 2005

L&S: Bell on the Constitution


Let me just add one point to James' last post, with which I'm in agreement: deconstructionists also argue that the meaning of words changes depending on power structures. Those with power have the ability to influence the meaning of words in particular ways, undermining any "fixed" meaning they might have.

Tom is wrapping up his talk now, which has been very good. I think he's given us a new meme though. In expressing his frustration with the Kelo decision, he looked skyward, clenched his fists, and nearly screamed "Keeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelo!!!!!" Of course, there was only one possible reference for that action. You might go here too.

Right now, Tom is singing the "Interstate Commerce Blues", complete with guitar, to the tune of "House of the Rising Sun". And we're now getting a new verse, in French, dealing with the EU.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Tom has a knack for musical comedy!

Tom W. Bell said...

Oh, yeah, I usually get lots of laughs when I play the guitar and sing. People especially like it when the rotten food hits me in the face. Heee-larious!