Tuesday, January 20, 2004

Alternative Programming

As Julian notes, the State of the Union Address is like the Super Bowl for political geeks. But as a political geek myself, I still don’t get it. The SotU is invariably a lethal mix of boring, stupid, mawkish, and frustrating. The endless ovations only add to the torture. And if you really feel like you’re missing something, you can skim the full transcript (minus ovations) in the morning paper. Here’s a hint: if the only good reason to watch something is the drinking game, then find something else to watch. There are plenty of better options, and they, too, often have drinking games. Hey, I’m not saying MTV’s Taildaters/Punk’d line-up is sophisticated television, but consider the alternative. As for me, I think I’ll be watching Firefly on DVD.

No comments: