Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Anarchist Chess

My boy, Kai, joined his school's chess club this fall and has ardently plunged into learning the game. He enjoys setting up the board next to his mom's favorite reading chair and playing both sides of lively matches, complete with violent captures and Star Wars sound effects.

Kai Plays with the Garden Hose

At only five years old, Kai has a long way to go before he masters chess. Yet I think he has already figured out something that a lot of adults don't understand. Running from his chess board to my side, the other day, Kai announced with glee, "I was playing myself and I captured my king but I just kept playing without him!"

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an incredible concept for a 5-year-old to grasp...governing oneself.

Jenny said...

LOL A kindergarten chess club? Well, I guess if they're expected to know how to program computers...

Tom W. Bell said...

Viola: I'm not sure he grasps "self-government" so well as he does not being governed by another.

Jenny: If I may boast, he's not in a *kindergarden* chess club; he got invited to join the big kids' club. I'm proud of the little dude.

dgm said...

Funny, even without the king, the game remained civil.

Anonymous said...

Yep, I'm with Kai on that one...including the civil part.