Thursday, September 01, 2005

His Judgement Cometh, and That Right Sooner or Later

Via Hit & Run (and also Balko), I learn that some Christian fundies have blamed Katrina’s fury on the moral depravity of New Orleans, that modern-day Sodom. In addition to its usual culture of debauchery, New Orleans also plays host to Southern Decadence, a “Celebration of Gay Life, Music & Culture.”

What I’m wondering is… what took God so long? This Southern Decadence thing has been going on since 1972. Does the Omnipotent One have such a backlog of cases that it took him 23 years to get around to punishing the sodomites? And the annual Mardi Gras celebration has been going on much, much longer (though I don’t know how long ago the boobs-for-beads tradition got started). God sure took his sweet time before smiting these sinners.

Also, why such indiscriminate punishment? Given that Louisiana’s in the middle of the Bible Belt, lots of good Christian heterosexuals got the short of the end the stick. We know that God can mete out more specific punishments; why couldn’t he just turn the gay parade into a colonnade of salt? Apparently, God is a lot like that first-grade teacher who punished the whole class because of that one kid who put a tack in her seat.


Gil said...

Mysterious Ways.

Charlie said...

Apparently, god is a jerk.

sk said...

christian fundies are jerks, not necessarily God.

mike hipp said...

as much good work as churches do... I still feel disdain for the ones that say things like this

David said...

"What I’m wondering is… what took God so long?"

Bacchus held him off for as long as he could but it's tough when you haven't had working temples or priests for a few millenia.

Z said...

The Christian "fundies" that believe this ought to have another look at the rulebook:

Then the LORD said, "The outcry against Sodom and Gomorrah is so great and their sin so grievous that I will go down and see if what they have done is as bad as the outcry that has reached me."

The men turned away and went toward Sodom, but Abraham remained standing before the LORD. Then Abraham approached him and said: "Will you sweep away the righteous with the wicked? What if there are fifty righteous people in the city? Will you really sweep it away and not spare the place for the sake of the fifty righteous people in it? Far be it from you to do such a thing—to kill the righteous with the wicked, treating the righteous and the wicked alike. Far be it from you! Will not the Judge of all the earth do right?"

The LORD said, "If I find fifty righteous people in the city of Sodom, I will spare the whole place for their sake."

Then Abraham spoke up again: "Now that I have been so bold as to speak to the Lord, though I am nothing but dust and ashes, what if the number of the righteous is five less than fifty? Will you destroy the whole city because of five people?"
"If I find forty-five there," he said, "I will not destroy it."

Once again he spoke to him, "What if only forty are found there?"
He said, "For the sake of forty, I will not do it."

Then he said, "May the Lord not be angry, but let me speak. What if only thirty can be found there?"
He answered, "I will not do it if I find thirty there."

Abraham said, "Now that I have been so bold as to speak to the Lord, what if only twenty can be found there?"
He said, "For the sake of twenty, I will not destroy it."

Then he said, "May the Lord not be angry, but let me speak just once more. What if only ten can be found there?"
He answered, "For the sake of ten, I will not destroy it."

I think this pretty well settles it...

Over A. Barrel said...

1. Capitalism frequently generates obscene wealth for the very few often at the expense of the many. (We see the many poor people stranded and dying, waiting to be rescued.)

2. The generation of obscene wealth is inherently decedent, more so than any homosexual revelry ever could be.

3. New Orleans had a decidedly capitalistic economy. (Now it is a basket case.)

4. God should have smitten the whole orgiastic, capitalistic place long ago.

Like Glen said, what took Him so long to castigate New Oleans? And couldn't He have given the New Oleanians a few flash flood warnings instead of a deluge?

Mary Contrary said...

I've read in the bible harsh condemnation of the perversity of homosexuality. But if "god doesn't play dice with the universe," then wouldn't he have waited for the gay group from Southern Decadence to have all arrived in New Orleans before he let Katrina loose on them? Now, the gays may choose another vacation destination like Orlando where I live. This is a wholesome family community and they are not welcome here or at Disney World. And we definitely don't need for God to punish our community with bad weather. I'm going to pray they don't come here and for clear skies. I agree with Glen. What could God have been thinking when he launched the hurricane a couple of days prematurely? I'll have to check my bible for a revelation. Maybe my minister knows the answer.