Friday, October 18, 2002

The Nuke Kids on the Block

So it seems that North Korea has been developing nuclear arms technology after all, despite swearing up and down back in 1994 that they wouldn't. Is anyone surprised? Frankly, I don't keep up with foreign affairs as much as I should, so if you'd asked me last week if North Korea had nukes, I would have said, "You mean there's a chance they don't? Really?"

In any case, this further confirms my belief that the nuclear genie is out of the bottle, and it's pretty pointless trying to cram it back in. Anyone who wants a nuke will have one, as Tom Lehrer observed decades ago, and there's unfortunately not a heckuva lot we can do about it. Nuclear non-proliferation policy strikes me as being a lot like gun control: it's mostly successful in keeping weapons out of the hands of people (or governments) not terribly inclined to use them anyway.

On a completely unrelated note, I'm wondering if the hit count on this page would increase substantially if I changed the name to "Agora-feel-ya."

No comments: